Friday, May 21, 2010

As of today, my father and I have been on the road for four days covering 2,614 miles. We traveled from Portland, Oregon and will arrive in Seward, Alaska in about an hour and a half. We have seen black bears, moose (!), a porcupine (!), sheep, deer, and rabbits. It has been a long trip, lots of bonding, inevitable car troubles, and endless amounts of time to think. My heart is finally catching up to my head.

The past year of my life has been a bit of a whirlwind. A week after I graduated, I moved from Seattle to Portland and drove up to Ketchikan, Alaska. Three months after I got home I was working on a cruise ship to Hawaii. Just five days ago, I was running by my house with Thoven and Lulu, my parent’s and relative’s dog, and now I am racing into what feels like the next chapter of my life; so many chapters and all so unexpected, unpredictable.

It is exciting to be here. Prince William Sound, Anchorage, Whittier, Seward, Homer, I had heard of these places and even talked about them, yet I had never been there, until now. There are still times when I forget I am working up here. It is a dream come true. This summer holds adventure, new challenges, and growth, all of which I seek. I am nervous however, about starting a new job in a new place but I am home. The mountains, lush green forests, and wide expanses of water welcome me.

As I drive on the highway from Anchorage to Seward (well as my dad drives) my heart is quieted and my soul stands still. The mountains are powerful, towering over the bay and covered in snow as if to say, “Here I am, take notice”. There is nothing like Alaska and only it can capture me from the depths of my heart. I am comforted and calmed. A feeling I’ve been waiting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment